Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sun, Sand, Sea…. and Snakes?!

The day started off great! We decided to head off to one of Florida's many State Parks. We were able to find one with a dog friendly beach, and made Mango's day! Honeymoon Island is on the Gulf Coast with white sand beaches, mangroves, and walking trails, it was a great spot to relax and dry out from all the rain we have been receiving. The weather has been bizarre as most of you can attest to. One day it's 25 degrees the next it's raining and 7, but it seems to have finally turned around!! Time to pull out the shorts! Mango was in heaven, swimming, digging trenches and playing with her ball. This was one of the nicest beaches we have been to in a long time. Uncrowded, with soft, cool sand that looked like powdered sugar! The water was shallow and warm with no waves, perfect for wading in and playing with the dog! Now for the unexpected surprise of the day! I left Graham and Mango at the beach to head over to the pavilion and check out the bumper sticker selection for the trailer (yes I have a new addiction, a girl's gotta shop!). On my way back I came across a Diamondback Rattlesnake slithering slowly across the trail! Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me, but I felt the terrifying experience was worth sharing! This sucker was huge!! Much larger than the one we saw in California, and ALIVE!! I would say he was probably longer than I am tall, over 5 feet, maybe close to 6, and fatter than I expected, thinking he may have had a full stomach? Anyways it was a shocker for me and another fellow walking his two Labs!

Happy! Happy! Happy!




The dog on the right was fascinated by Mango's incessant digging!
Check out the fog that rolled in just as we were leaving. Apparently it is sign of the cold weather leaving us! Warm air coming up from the south and hitting the cooler water temperatures. Bring it on!
Ok, I had to show off my handy work! Unfortunately I suck at applying these things! Bubbles everywhere! LOL! It's tougher than it looks!

1 comment:

  1. Love to see mango so happy! Laughing at the other dog thinking 'what's up girl?!'.
    Enjoy as much sun as you can! Great bumper sticker collection!

    ReplyDelete